Friday, August 28, 2026

No Chanterelles.... But The Russulas Are in!

 A  "quick" post on the activities of my life.   And a few of the things I have been skipping out on over the last month.   I know I was going to post "progress Reports" of the Cat Pole Project.   Well....   Over the one weekend where I had a full two days,   I just up and finished it.  

I don't hate it, but it definitely is not what I was visualizing in my head. ( they never are...)    At least the cat has jumped in it a couple of times. 

(She jumps out the moment I reach for the Camera....)  And I am already thinking on ways I can improve on the next design.  ( All those "Wrong Paths" and Headaches I can skip over and avoid....)  We learn by Doing!   

And the reason experts seem like masters is because of the endless failures they had to overcome.   Too bad it takes a life time to figure that out. ( Something School can't really teach you.) 

I have been mushroom hunting at least one day each week this month... In the hopes of finding the Chanterelles that pop up this time of year.    "Unfortunately"   I have found more Chicken Of The Woods this year than I remember!   ( A nice way to be disappointed...)  I finally finished the last of the Chickens last night.   And I still have a freezer bag filled with frozen ones in the freezer.   Still,  I enjoy the search. 

Last week I found Boletes!  Most of them were already past their prime, but I managed to harvest a couple small ones.  There were also a lot of Waxy Caps.

I love Waxy caps.   They are so pretty...  And I have eaten a number of them without getting sick.   Apparently,   a few of the "redish" ones can make the tummy hurt...  So either I have a tolerance/ immunity;  They are WRONG in their assessments:  OR I just rolled the dice and lucked out.  

 It is possible that all three are true. I have knowingly ate mushrooms that are "toxic" and lived to tell the tale without any of those nasty issues.  (Usually vomiting and diarrhea...) 

I have certainly eaten a lot of mushrooms over my life ( and other "junk" that possibly armors me up against "bad Food")  And I know that many of those books error on the side of caution rather than telling people something is safe only to have "Vegans and Glutton-Free" people issue complaints.   

It is also possible that I correctly ID'ed it and was able to enjoy the satisfaction of a successful Mycology Knowledge Base!

All Bragging and ranting aside,   I found a BUNCH of Russulas yesterday.   (Well... At least a Basket full.)   I LOVE these guys! 

They come in all colors of the rainbow!  Green, red, purple, yellow...  Even black!   

And I have eaten them all!   The trick... And probably the reason I like them so much, is that you have to "Taste" them to correctly ID them.   Take a small bite,   Roll it on your tongue, and spit it out.   IF it is bad... You will taste either bitter, Sharp, or hot pepper taste.   If not.. It is Edible. 

There are over 3000 species of this type of mushroom.   They are called BRITTLEGILLS for a reason.   They crumble very easily and break like chalk.  After a while, you can Id them just by that.  ( At least against other mushrooms... You still have to taste them to see if they are good) A Fun Find. 

Yesterday.  I found the Bare-toothed Russula.   A BIG ONE!  The App that I have positively Confirmed my ID. 

Actually I found several and ate them yesterday for lunch.   The taste like almonds or cherries.  PErsonally I find ALL of the Russulas excelling in flavor over most of the other mushrooms.   Chanterelles and Chickens have flavor, but they also have a texture that is cool.   Brittlegills are a lot like Morels.   They have a flavor that sets them apart. ( My opinion.)  

I realize that lots of people would probably disagree with me, and that is fine.   I know what I think and have experienced.   So I will continue harvesting and eating them... And singing their Praise. 

Just like Last night... If you missed it,  There was a Lunar Eclipse!   And here in Kenosha,  We had PERFECT viewing weather!    

The full-est part of the  eclipse was supposed to happen just before we got out of work around 11:20 or so.  I saw the small sliver leading up and must have missed the full eclipse by just a few minutes.... But those things are over so quickly and unlike the Solar eclipse,  you can look right at it and watch it happen.   

At least there are a few other "Nerds" working at the Haribo.   Even people who did not follow things like that were able to check it out when we told them about it.   A small bit of the mysteries of the world. 


This post is getting long, so I will skip the part of the "Basement Renovation"   Hopefully I will have more pics of that than the Cat Tree Project.    I just have to remember to stop, take a break,  snap a picture now and then, and make every second count.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Chanterelles.... But The Russulas Are in!

 A  "quick" post on the activities of my life.   And a few of the things I have been skipping out on over the last month.   I know...