Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Back Home!


 It was a fun three days with dave in Toronto.   Granted, I did not do much other than take in the atmosphere.   Which is fine, because I really did not know what to expect.  

 I considered this more of an "exploratory Mission" than a full blown vacation.  That being said,  here is what we did over the next couple days...

Dave's Cross Fit people were throwing a "Hungry Hippo" meal with friends and family.   It was one of those events that Dave got to experience when he first arrived in Toronto and thought that that would be a great way to get to know the culture on a personal level.   Better than fighting a huge crowd downtown or signing up for an event with standing room only.  

The guy (Vy,   I believe was his name.) had just come back from Alaska with a bunch of Halibut and wanted to share the success.  I think he is of Vietnamese and Japanese heritage and wanted to cook up the fish several different ways.  

Bacon wrapped halibut cubes fried up in Olive Oil.   The wraps had peppers and green onions with some seasonings.   Breathtakingly delicious!   Especially if you got one of the bites with the pepper!   The heat was just enough to set your mouth on fire... and nothing else.) 

Miso soup with Enoki mushrooms and steamed Halibut.   Light  and slightly salty...   Miso is always a wonderful addition to any fish meal. 

And lastly,   Smoked  Halibut steak on Rice.  I can't remember if there was a sauce.   It was light and subtle in flavor.  There were cucumber salad, grilled Octopus and a cabbage mix you could add to the rice for texture and sweetness if you wanted.   Wonderful!

I liked that it was like dining with Family.... And there were no rules.   One of the ladies, ( can't remember names...  Carol maybe?)  Was a wonderful host and with no words, showed us how to serve things up without being formal.   In other words:  "Caveman Style!"   You move your bowl over to the dish and just shovel stuff in.   Or grab things with your hands.   Similar to how we enjoyed the Bluegills at Ed's two weekends ago.   

Vy showed us his Alaska Video from the fishing trip.   It  was a short vid of them catching and cooking fish.  He edited it down to the exciting bits... as if the video was going on to YouTube.   The girls played cards and the rest of us told stories about Alaska.  It was a fun evening out. 

I found the Church service at the Toronto church to be very similar to the Reach service at New Life here in Kenosha.   Dave showed me around the "campus" area of the church and the gardens that the congregation members had built. 

  I had to snap a few pics because I liked seeing the layout  and ideas of how to save space.   So much produced in such a small area!  

I headed back after the service and got hit hard by the thunderstorms that were predicted for Sunday.   The rain was similar to Iowa in that it would be sunny, but then come down so violently that many people had to pull over!   

I didn't, ( because I have a Subaru!)  But I definitely had to slow down a bit.  Mostly because visibility was near zero.  

But I survived!  And I think it took only 10 hours to get back.  (Even with a half hour nap I took near Winsor)  Going through Chicago at night is far better than during the noon rush!   

After a day of recovery,  I now am getting ready to head back to the Haribo.   By the way,  I found the New Candies at one of the Meyer Gas Stations in Michigan.   I took a pic but did not purchase any because I'm sure we will be swimming in them within a year from now.   They are unique in texture from the usual Gummies.   And I think they have potential to be a huge hit once people discover them for the first time.  

Time to wrap this up and get ready.   Time is so fleeting and precious... I have to make every second count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back Home!

 It was a fun three days with dave in Toronto.   Granted, I did not do much other than take in the atmosphere.   Which is fine, because I re...