I fancy myself more of a builder. An artist and creator... Rather than a demo man. Demolition falls more under my brother's category rather than mine. (Then again, he did build corvettes at GM. But really, fast cars are for people who are trying to destroy something in the most dramatic way possible. So... Still applies.)
Today I have been demo-ing my basement. I actually started last week sometime with the floor. You see, we had some serious rain a few weeks ago. And the Basement got a little flooded. I figured I could simply dry it out with a fan, but after several hours of nothing, I decided to pull out the trusty Shop Vac.
55 gallons later! I concluded that something has to be done about the basement. And that something means I have to install a Sump Pump.
And that means that I have to first clean and clear up the basement so I can install such a thing. I knew that it would only take a small thread of some issue to be pulled for the entire "fabric" of the basement to begin to unwind. Whoever worked on this basement before really had no clue what they were doing. I say this as someone who have the most BASIC of knowledge when it comes to understanding plumbing and basic carpentry. Even I know this guy had no clue!
That being said, it looks like construction that Eric and I would have done back when we were 12 or 13. Everything is nailed together... with the nails being bent over for "extra support". Drywall is used as "walls" with no support or backing. Electrical cables are dangling about with no apparent purpose.
Now I have build furniture before. And I would be the first ot concede that I am no "master" when it comes to assembling shelving and cupboards. But nailing hinges together is a whole other level of "What the Heck were you thinking???" (Check out this Railroad Spike!) I guess farmers used the methods and tools they had available at the time. With a limited skill set to apply that knowledge as well. I should be impressed that they were able to turn this barn into a livable space.
And so the demo begins! I have already removed the tile flooring, because the water had already pushed up most of the tiles from the concrete. I purchased a hammer drill to aid me, but in the end, I used a hammer and crowbar for all of it. It was not that difficult, but it was a very hot job.
With the tile gone, I began work on the number of random shelving units that cluttered the area. I also removed the water damaged vintage paneling that was all the rage back in the '70's. My guess is the guy must have wanted to have a "finished" basement with a bar. And then, after the first rain completely destroyed all of his efforts, he abandoned it to the elements. Including cutting several wires to unknown destinations.
Even now, I am very cautious on what I want to remove. Several pipe are still filled with wires! And I am not sure if they are actually live or not!
"Do no harm" is my motto.... Especially to myself! Because I am the only one here and there is no one else to call for emergency in the event I fry myself.
In the end, I managed to remove more wood and crap than I have space for in my garbage can... so I am pretty much done until tuesday... when the Garbage Man comes to empty it out. Until then... I just have to pile it up and hope there is room for another bin.
I also cleaned the paint off of the Glass Block Windows. The previous owner painted them black! (Um.. Why?) The entire point of the glass block window is to let light in and not allow anyone to peep inside.
But I guess if you want a gloomy Self Made Bar vibe, you gotta paint the windows black.
Or if you are hiding a Vampire... or Creepy Torture chamber.
Just kidding. I have not encountered any hauntings from any ghosts or undead spirits. So I know the bad Bar idea... Though STUPID! Was not intended for Evil cult-like rituals. (unless getting hammered in your ameture DIY basement is evil...)
Anyway, The knocking down of the walls "really Opens up the space!" To coin a Changing Spaces line. ( Does anyone remember that show?) I'm sure the idea for closing everything off was probably a good one at the time, but now it just made everything feel cluttered and sloppy. Not to mention the water damage, possible black mold, and rodent living arrangements.
Speaking of rodents! I did not find any. Yet! But there is plenty of evidence that they have been here previously. And it is possible that my cat has been playing a role in keeping them hidden or absent.
The only creepy crawlies I discovered were the House Centipedes. ( LOTS of them!) That probably explains the lack of spiders down there. I actually like House centipedes just for that reason. (They eat spider... and Earwigs)
I'm thinking I could burn the wood rather than fill my dumpster with all this crappy lumber. I have a firepit in the back, though I it will probably take several days of burning to get through all of these 2X4's. And the rain today does not really help much. Bit a little at a time and maybe the neighbors will not complain.
That is all for now. Last week flew by! And I worked Saturday so today was my only day of "rest" And now even that is mostly over. Time to wrap this up so I can relax for the remaining hours before I head back to work tomorrow. Time is so fleeting... That is why we have to make every second count.


No comments:
Post a Comment