Actually, I did not do anything particularly dangerous today. I spent the entire day prepping for the electricity.... Which should be tomorrow if everything goes well. I have everything set up and ready for install. Basically, may task today was just to get the outlets and conduit up. And buy all of the tools and parts I would need.
So off to Menards! (My favorite place in the WORLD! Currently.....) I didn't take a picture of the Banner they have up in honor of my Business. Nor did I record their cheers as I enter the building. Instead I went right over to the electrical section and started buying!
A little over $300.00 Later.... I had all of this stuff! Now I know that that seems like a lot of money for what you see here, but honestly, I purchased several tools I probably could have gotten away without. But I do plan on using them for future projects, so I figured, might as well start the collection and have them available. Besides, I know what it is like cutting PVC with a saw... It SUCKS! The end is crooked and filled with burrs. And I saw the way the PVC cutters work... Clean strait cuts!
I was not disappointed! And that goes for the Cable cutters as well. I have used these before with my Bike, and I can't believe I struggled with crappy wire snippers all of those years before. The cable cutters are clean and easy. Worth the price if you want a clean cut. And takes a LOT less time.
![]() |
| Make a hole! |
I had in mind that I wanted to cut a hole through the wall and run the conduit through. I'm actually impressed how it turned out. And I imagine running the conduit up and over would have not only looked terrible, but would have been way more frustrating.
![]() |
| Install a Box! |
After a while, the entire thing began to take shape. I heated up the pipe and bent it in the corners rather than buying those 90 degree sections. I have a heat gun and I have experimented on regular PVC pipe before. The only draw back is that without a "bending tool", the pipe can form a kink and flatten a bit. I know my bend was not perfect, but it worked good enough for me.
![]() |
| Dry fit complete! |
With everything "dry fit" and set up. I anchored the pipe and boxes to the wall with supports. And then I made a "Rookie Mistake"....
![]() |
| Through the wall! |
I watched a video about glueing up the pvc to prevent water from finding its way inside the pipe. Made sense... at the time. I mean, The entire point of this project was to keep the water out of the basement. So... I guess there is a chance that if the sump pump fails or something.... Water could become a factor.
I know the water is on the floor and not on the walls.... But Dampness? Maybe?
And they never really tell you when you should glue up the joints in the pvc. So... I did it after everything was set up.
It might not have been an issue, But I was running ROMEX inside 1/2 inch PVC. Even with the 90 degree turns I put in, it was fine. Until I got to the end coupling.
I also made the mistake of trying to cram an entire run of cable through the entire section. I discovered that it was easier just cutting the wire and taking it in three sections. I was going to cut the cable anyway to hook up the outlets. So, that was not really a big deal.
![]() |
| Wired up! |
And the only problem I had was with the last coupling. I had to cut it off and that prevented me from finishing the set up tonight. I was pretty "done" with the project at that point anyway, so it was a good place to stop.
![]() |
| Ready for hookup tomorrow... |
I also found that threading the Cable through the conduit while it was off the wall was far easier. Note to future self for later!
So now I just have to go to Menards again tomorrow and pick up another coupler for the last box. And then I begin the "dangerous" part of actually wiring up the outlets and hooking up the breaker to the box. My brother ( the Electrician) was MIA today.... which was ok due to me not really dealing with the electricity just yet. But tomorrow, I probably will have him on speaker phone so he can walk me through the hook up process. And call 911 if I electrocute myself!
It was a beautiful day today. And I was able to relax and mow my lawn. I played with the cat in the yard and chatted with the neighbor for a bit. The only downside was that the day seemed to fly by. But I did learn and have fun setting up the circuit. I know it does not look very impressive, but to me, I think it looks pretty good so far. And I'm impressed I pulled it off solo! ( With a lot of Help from YouTube! To be sure!)
Of which I also fall victim too... But I'm trying my best to be grateful for every day. And All of the gifts God has blessed me with. And I will do my best with the time I have left... To make every second count...









No comments:
Post a Comment