Saturday, October 5, 2024

The Eve Before The Lakefront Marathon...

 And I'm feeling OK.  For the moment.   Mostly because I'm only running the half tomorrow.   And after running 12 miles just last weekend, I'm fairly confident I will be able to finish.   My only real thought is to work on the time.   Wouldn't it be great if I could beat 2 hours....

Well,  I must admit I am probably not as trained as I should be at the moment.   I certainly have had a lot on my plate these last several weeks.  ( Or even MONTHS!)  The school thing has certainly consumed most of my time since July.  And the "race" ( Or "Struggle!") under that topic continues!   But my perception has been that I am finding my pace... slowly.   And now my daily routine has settled down to a dull,  slightly comfortable pain that I can tolerate on a day to day basis.   If you are a runner.... You will probably understand that analogy. 

In other words...  I'm beginning to warm up to teaching.  ( Or it is warming up to me... I'm not sure if we are friends quite yet.)  

That being said....   The running has been on the back burner... simmering all this time.   And I think it is time to pull it to the front.   If nothing else,   just to try and see where I am in the overall running world.  

I guess the reason for the running references is that I went to a Shoreland Cross country meet last Thursday and was able to witness history!   In one meet, Shoreland broke the School Record for fastest female.   Fastest male, And Fastest Combined team times!  All on a single race!

Tempi ( I hope that is how you spell her name)   Beat the previous school record by 3 seconds.   That is the fastest female in the history of the school!  

Shortly after that  Zach beat the previous school record for fastest male  by 9 seconds!   And the varsity boys turned in the fastest time ever!   

Unfortunately,  the boys placed third overall and the girls placed fifth.  Neither one brought home a trophy.  ( Meaning, the competition was fierce! ) There was an all conference girl running  the race with Tempi. 

All that to say that I was able to see it and cheer them on.   AND that helped inspire me while I made my way to Milwaukee this morning to pick up my packet.   The expo was rather small and there was no one along to keep me there or buy anything.   I did manage to pick up an extra shirt and a couple of beer glasses as my souvenirs.   I figured since I did not purchase much last year, I might as well get them this year while they were on sale.  And who doesn't need another beer glass?  

I have already graded all my papers and just have to look over next week's lesson plans to get ready for school.   I doubt I will be in the best condition or mood to do all of that stuff  tomorrow evening after the race.  

Tonight....  Sleep!   Rest.  Recovery!   And we shall get up bright and early tomorrow so I can get the best parking and be ready for the 13.1 mile tour of the city and shoreline.  Wouldn't it be nice if I could beat 2 hours?   I know that most of that will depend on where I am mentally.   And physically!  ( But mostly mentally)   The weather is said to be nice and cool in  the morning....so at the start line,   I will have to make every second count!

1 comment:

  1. "...a couple of beer glasses as my souvenirs"

    I don't want to tell you how long I paused at this sentence because I thought you were talking about a type of eyeglasses.

    Congrats on your running AND teaching!

    ReplyDelete

The Lakefront Marathon ( Half) Finished!

  With a new PR for me in the half-marathon category!   I am kind of proud of that.   However,   I did not break the 2 hour mark.    So I re...