Monday, September 7, 2026

Putting The "Labor" In Labor Day...

 We had today off from the Haribo!   That being said, I still volunteered to work on Saturday to help out with some organizing.   I didn't know it until the end of that shift that I had managed to put in just over 60 hours this week! 

Oops!

I think you have to have some special authorization if you are going to work that much.  Unless you are salary. ( I think) Well I don't think I have ever been in trouble for working too long for any job where I was employed. Usually they are trying to make overtime Mandatory!   Either way, I think Material Handlers have an open invitation for as much overtime as they can handle.  So I think I should be ok. 

That being said, I spent the last two days working at the "University of Home Ownership."  Most of my classes are "Hands On!" with no instructor.  Meaning,  I have to do my own research and learn my own practical skills.   Motivation is provided by you living on campus!   And you are forced to live with the grade you get.   IN other words:  If you fail,  you get to live in the home with no plumbing or electrical! 

That being said,  you get as many attempts as you want (or have money for)  until you achieve a passing grade.   Or even a grade you actually want!

Currently  I am "happy" with "basic plumbing and electrical."   That being said,  the plumbing leaks and the electrical is all over the place!  ( In other words:  The last owner was happy with a D- as a passing grade)   

But I want to add a little order to this chaos of a house! I want plumbing that works AND does not leak.   And is easy to maintain.   With some updated materials and methods thrown into the mix.   So I have big plans to maximize my education at this University! 

That being said... One class at a time.  

My First class:  The demolition class... Is finally nearing its end with the final removal of the hodge podge rooms that were created by the last owner.  Everything was nailed together.... 

And NOT in the best, most professional way!  It reminded me of that time we discovered an antique furniture that someone had "Nailed" back together....  Only to have it split and become unrepairable. 

Well,   The demolition man does not care about repair!  (Hey!  That Rhymes!)  

My goal over the last two days was to finish up and complete the demo of the main walls.   I was limited by the storage of the debris that was produced.   I have been slowly burning the wood in a small outdoor fireplace.   

The rest of it,  I have to wait until Tuesday  night to put it out on the curb.  I heard that there are "Bulk Pick up" days by the city,  but I don't know if I want to wait for that.  So far, I only have 4 garbage bins filled with drywall and insulation.    The neighbor said I can use his bin too if I need to.  So there are options....

I am impressed that the burning is actually working out... so far.   The HUGE pile of cut 2x2 is slowly disappearing as I go out ever half hour or so and continue to feed the fire.  I Still have to cut up some of the last remaining lumber but I think it will disappear in a similar way without having to be tossed into the bin with the other "Non-Burnable" stuff. 

I nice thing is that, with the walls and rooms finally removed,  I have access to outdoor natural light!   And have finally discovered  the main water chut off for the house!  I can now begin the plumbing classes!  

And there is definitely a reason to advance to that level....  The toilet needs attention.   Whoever installed it before....  Again,   Barely passed!   IT flushed!   And it filled with water.   But it leaks!   And now has  ruined the subfloor underneath.   I will be combining my class  of basic plumbing with some basic carpentry!   I will have to use the demolition skill to remove the tile flooring.   Then cut out the subfloor.   Replace the Subfloor.   Then replace the floor with new flooring before I can install a new toilet.    I think all of these tasks are within my skill set.   

It will just require extra time.   Because I want to do it right.    And,  since I live here,  I don't want to be a failure!  

But time is something I do not seem to have much of these days.   I may have to ask for a PTO day just so I can plan things out.  I don't want to go several days without a flushable toilet!    As it is, I have been peeing in the shower just so  I don't have sewage water trickling down to the basement floor.  ( I have a bucket catching it...still.... Kind of gross! 

All that being said, ( with perhaps, a little too much information added)   it should be understandable now why this project has moved up in priority.  

As for today,   I fixed the dishwasher. (Possibly a separate Blog Post)  Did my laundry. Mowed my yard.   AND I am currently feeding the remining scrap timber into the fire.  The big project will have to wait.  


In the mean time,  I will be planning things out.   It cost nothing to think and plan.   And I can do that without having to take time off from work.   "A Plan of Action!"  And lots of You Tube videos!   

Well,  Better get out and put some more wood on the fire.   With a little luck, I can get the pile down to just the panelling and stuff I have in the basement.   I would not want to miss an opportunity to make every second count. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Putting The "Labor" In Labor Day...

 We had today off from the Haribo!   That being said, I still volunteered to work on Saturday to help out with some organizing.   I didn...