Thursday, September 26, 2024

Surviving Homecoming Week...

Last week was homecoming at Shoreland.   It was a crazy week!  And...  Once again,   I managed to survive it.  ( With a lot of help from God)  

It is Thursday,  and I figured I had better write about that week before the weekend.   Otherwise it will be over a week old and will no longer seem relevant.  But there was much that happened during and even after the week was finally over.   

I could mention that something about the teaching schedule and stuff, but honestly, it all seems like a blur at the moment.   So I will follow the photos that I have on my phone.   

I guess I will start with the Girls Tennis match I watched last Thursday. Who would have thought that such a thing was kind of fun?   I guess what makes it fun is that a couple of my students are on the team, and that gives me someone specific to root for.  One of the girls is a freshman,  and she unfortunately  lost both matches.   But otherwise I got to chat with a couple of the other teachers and a couple parents while I was there.  

Later,  Kyle Robinson,  who also joined me at the tennis match,   joined me at the Soccer Match later that evening.  Shoreland Won! (2-0)   But I was not there to see it.   I left just after half time because it was past my bed time.  

Shoreland also won the football game.   I was there for the kickoff, but left straight away soon after because Cheryl was in town.  And although she was here for only Friday night through Sunday morning,  I did not get to see her much.  

Because on Saturday,  I drove to see the Cross Country Team about an hour and a half north of Milwaukee!

There was talk of this terrible hill called "Big Bertha" where they had to run up the hill during the course.   But what fascinated me was the tale that parents and spectators  could run the race ( and the hill) after the match was finished.  

Challenge accepted!

I kind of like hills and do well on them during a typical race.   Not that I'm a speed demon or anything.  But I am usually able to gain ground or catch people on the uphill and the down hill.  Mostly because people are either walking or being cautious while navigating the obstacle. 

Well,  The boys got second place as a team during the match.   And I managed to run a 5K  with a HUGE hill in 29 minutes. ( Under 30 was my goal!) I was happy.  

I finally linked up with Cheryl around 2:30 PM on Saturday.  We enjoyed a pretzel and beer at the Beer Garden in Milwaukee.  And later, went beach combing a bit.   On Sunday, we went for a run. 

The run was fine, right up until it began to rain.   and Rain!   In fact, it did not really stop raining until yesterday!  I guess we needed the rain, after such a dry spell.   And I was hoping it would trigger a few mushrooms to grow.   I did not find much,  except for several clusters of "Big Laughing Gyms"   Or Rustgills.  I did not pick them, because there is a possibility that they might make you sick. ( There is also a chance that they might give you a bit of a "trip.")  I was not willing to risk it.  

But I did manage to find a nice stash of Turkey Tail, and just finished grinding them up for tea for the next several months.  

That is all for now.   School is slipping by each day now and I continue to hang on.   I do not have much time for anything else at the moment,  but will continue to pray and seek guidance from God and the teachers and staff around me.  I sometimes think about how all of these things came to be and realize that time seems to be slipping by more quickly now.    And I have to do my best because every second counts...



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lakefront Marathon ( Half) Finished!

  With a new PR for me in the half-marathon category!   I am kind of proud of that.   However,   I did not break the 2 hour mark.    So I re...