Wednesday, August 9, 2023

My Birthday Celebration.

A fun filled weekend with friends and Nature.   Where to begin....

Well, First, I should probably mention it was my birthday yesterday.   And instead of celebrating my getting old,  I was showered with love from all of those around me.  And I am very grateful.   

I was feeling a little blue at the beginning of it.   I really don't know why. ( ok, I might have an idea... But I'm not telling.) But Mother nature was the first to give me a bunch to gifts to start off the weekend right. I barely entered the forest last Sunday when I discovered the Boletes were out in full swing.   Along with them were another round of Chanterelles.  Within five minutes, I had my basket nearly filled!  There were so many, I did not even bother to go out in the the "favorite Spots" for fear my basket would overflow.  

That night, Dave and I ate them all in one giant cream of Mushroom soup dish!  I was impressed!  Because the mushrooms were heaping out over the pan as we tried to simmer them down.   Overall,  it was a pretty good score. 

On Monday,  Dave and I traveled to Michigan for some Beer Touristry.  (I just made up that word!) It used to be called  "Bar Hopping"   But that is so old school.   Now we have "micro Breweries!"  And they are family friendly and serve better beer.   We had plans of visiting a brewery in Saugatuck, Michigan.  And then New Holland in Holland Michigan.   But both breweries were closed on Monday.   So we found one that was Open....

Hurray for Founders!   We slipped in and got a bite to eat while sampling their unique beers.  ( beers they do not export to the other states.) it was a good leaping off point.   

Shortly after that, we headed to "Two Guys Brewing" to catch up with Tom Payne.   An Old School Chum from Holy Trinity and MLS.  Over the last several years, he has perfected an award winning IPA that I thoroughly enjoy.   And Enjoy-ed!  Needless to say, I was feeling pretty good after that visit. 

We then traveled to Dave's Parents home,  where we enjoyed some Salmon, Pie, and Croquet.  Dave's Parents are wonderful hosts and always a pleasure to visit with.  

Yesterday,  we drove from Michigan back to Kenosha in the Wee Hours of the AM morning. (a redundant quirk I use to annoy Dave.) I was able to capture an almost clear picture of the Chicago skyline.  

After work, Dave and I went to a "Live Music in The Park" event. Some of Dave's Crossfit friends were there and we enjoyed the music in the open air.   Any event that gets you outside to enjoy a Lake Michigan breeze is a good thing to me. 

And finally,  Helen's Apple Pie.   I believe I already gushed about this amazing art of baking  I still hold true that words can not possibly do it justice.  With one possibly amendment:  Helen's Pie is now the VERY BEST PIE I have ever had.   I have enjoyed this apple pie three times now, and it remains consistently unbelievable.  And honestly,  It brings about an emotional response in me every time I eat it.  It was the perfect end to my birthday celebration. 

All of my gifts, including the birthday card my co-workers gave me, were thoughtful and heartwarming.  And I am eternally grateful to all of the folks who wished me a happy birthday this year.  I can't really put my finger on it, but it seemed to mean a lot more to me this particular year. This particular point in my life.  As if the universe is trying to tell me that there is love all around me if I just open my eyes to it.  

And I am grateful.  Eternally Grateful!  Because ever second counts in this life.  So to everyone....  Thank you!  For making this life of mine awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Week Down!

 I think this is week 4!  And I'm still here....   Hooray!  God continues to bless me.  And I am grateful for his presents.   I will adm...