Two topics I did not have time to blog about. But I decided that I had better say something before long, otherwise the entire story will be lost!
Last Thursday, John Tukes came from Texas for a visit. He was visiting family in Kenosha and wanted to grab a beer with a few of the Zebra folks that still live here. I was happy to toss my hat into the ring and share a story or two at the Clubhouse.
A couple other folks joined us along the way. Marion was one... But she had to leave before John got there.
And then there was Francisco. One of the "former" fork truck drivers from Zebra.
I guess a lot has changed at Zebra since I left. I think I gained more info from Marion and Frisco than anything else. John has just been enjoying retirement.... By working!
One of those guys who needs to work for some reason. Well, I guess everyone has their own form of hobbies. And it is nice to have a part time job that you are able to walk away from if things get too insane. (Like The Current Zebra culture, from what I hear....) It was a good time. And I was happy that I took some time off to spend quality time with friends.
I did mention that it has been raining here for nearly three days straight! All weekend and a touch on Monday. I thought this was a good thing because it allowed me to focus on the bathroom project. But now that that project is "almost" complete, ( It is functional, but not aesthetically pleasing to the discriminating eye....) The next "Project" has pushed its way to the top of the priority list.
I sucked up well over 100 gallons of water from the floor Monday morning....Putting the little Shop Vac I purchased Through the Wringer! And after I got the floor reasonably dry and went to work, it filled back up again! I sucked up an additional 70 gallons that night. Again, until the floor was completely clear of standing water.
But then, Tuesday morning I was greeted with another puddle.
By that time, I called it and started researching a Sump pump in ernest. I originally had plans to instal a full french trench around the perimeter of the basement. But then I changed it to the two walls where most of the water was coming from.
Now, I'm thinking of just digging a hole in the corner where the "pool" seems to be originating from.
I have never cut through concrete before. Or dug a whole in a basement. But I did watch my Dad chisel away at our old house back when the city forced us to join the public water and sewer system. It took a while and I don't know what tools he used. I think a sledge hammer was all. Perhaps I can get away with that.

I think it is predicted to rain again on Tuesday of next week. So I have a brief window of opportunity to at least get the Sump Pump in. I can add in the french trenches later if I still feel the need for them. And Hopefully, the entire process will be blog worthy... In a good way! Not the: "I wish I had hired someone else to do it..." Way.
In the mean time, I have been digesting as many videos on how to install a Sump pump that Youtube has on the topic. So, like cramming for a test that has to be finished before next week. I am trying me best to make every second count.
Wish me Luck!


No comments:
Post a Comment