Today, I "finished" the sump pump project to a point where I can now use it... In Theory, at least. The true test will be tomorrow and the following three days where the weather channel predicts rain. Lots and Lots of Rain!
I feel cautiously confident. And I think the install is solid and correct. (I even drilled a Seep hole in the hose to let water in...)
Even so, I do hold out that sliver of doubt that something unforeseen could happen that I or any of the YouTube videos failed to address. Time and age have taught me few things. But one is that: Anything is possible.
Honestly, there is this excitement to see if it actually works! I mean, I know it works. I have already tested it outside the basin. But will it work as designed.... With muddy water seeping in from the ground and activate when needed. Will it be able to push the water up over the wall and into the yard? Will it shut off once the water has been evacuated? It's almost like building a plane or a boat and waiting to see if it can fly or float!
So the biggest hurdle I had today was to figure out how I was going to get the hose to the outside. My initial plans were to drill a hole through the cinderblock wall and snake the hose through it. I surely did not want to go up an additional 2 feet just so I could punch a hole through my Vinyl Siding. ( or maybe it is aluminium...) It would look unsightly and the extra height distance might put unnecessary strain on the pump.
I ran down to Menhards to purchase a "hole Saw" for the task. Along with a few other things that had nothing to do with the project. ( That is how they get you.... Come in for one thing, leave with a dozen other things for future projects....)
Turns out, the diamond made circular cutting saw blade was not really made for cutting a hole in cinderblock! I could tell that the saw despite being in a hammer drill, was not going to make it. All it could do was rough out an outline of the circle. The teeth were nearly grown down to nubs after just a few minutes.
So, Out with the concrete drill bit. It was smaller, but punched through more effectively. From there, I pulled out the hammer and chisel set.
I then went outside to repeat the process. I was impressed that it fits around the sump pump hose snuggly. Even so, I still plan on using something to seal up the area around the hole.
With the hole cut, I was able to pull the hose through and hook it up to the pump. I cut a hole in the lid of the garbage can and threaded the cord and the hose though that as well. Now All I need is the rain....
My hope is that everything will work out and I will gain satisfaction and confidence for my next project. Which will most likely be wiring up a three pronged outlet to the sump pump so I can plug it in to a wall mounted plug. Currently, I have an extension cord as the power source.
Working with electricity is slightly different than working with water or dirt. Those things are dirty and messy, But they can't really kill you.
So... More Youtube videos on how to run cable to an outlet box and hooking that up to your Breaker Box. I'm I am able to blog about that, that will mean that I have survived to tell the tale.
In the mean time, I shall keep my fingers crossed and pray for rain... Just enough rain to make the sump pump activate and be successful. The last thing I would wish is for the heavens to open up and present a deluge of biblical proportions!
Nope! Just enough. And then we can build upon that. Perhaps bury the hose and surround it with some gravel so it will be less conspicuous. And I can mow over it instead of around it. We shall see.
No comments:
Post a Comment